- Ph.D. Princeton Theological Seminary
- M.Div. Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary
- B.A. Oral Roberts University
- Professor of Biblical and Religious Studies, Tabor College
- Old Testament Editor for the Believers Church Bible Commentary series (Herald Press)
- Old Testament Editor for the Anabaptist Dictionary of the Bible (online)
- General editor of Direction journal, the academic journal of North American Mennonite Brethren, 1996-2007
Recognitions & Awards
- Distinguished Tabor faculty: 2006 – 2007
- Annual Tabor Faculty Lecture, “Community Patterns of Worship: A Canonical Approach to Psalm Categories,” February 7, 2005
- Poets & Sages
- Prophets & Kings
- Gospel of John
- Lovers, Rebels & Heroes
- Christian Faith in Contemporary Culture
- Life & Writings of C. S. Lewis
- Bible, Community & Culture
- Worldviews in Christian Perspective
- Holy Land trip to the Middle East
- Getting a Life: Living Your Call. Hillsboro, KS: Readers Press, 2016.
- An Akkadian Handbook. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1996; 2d ed. 2014 (with R. Mark Shipp).
- Ecclesiastes, Believers Church Bible Commentary. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2010.
- Symbol and Rhetoric in Ecclesiastes: The Place of Hebel in Qohelet’s Work. Atlanta, GA: Society of Biblical Literature; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2002.
- Editor, Tabor College: A Century of Transformation. Hillsboro, KS: Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies, 2008.
- “Wisdom in the Canon: Discerning the Early Intuition,” in Is There a Wisdom Tradition? New Prospects in Israelite Wisdom Studies, 87-113, edited by Mark Sneed. Ancient Israel and Its Literature. Atlanta, GA : Society of Biblical Literature, 2015.
- “The Nature of Biblical Faith,” Direction 44:1 (2015) 72-83.
- “Should We Take Time for War? Moral Indeterminacy in Qohelet’s Poem,” in Struggles for Shalom: Peace and Violence Across the Testaments, 88-102, edited by Laura L. Brenneman and Bradley D. Schantz. Telford, PA: Cascadia, 2014.
- Psalms 56-61 in Timeless: Ancient Psalms for the Church Today, vol. 2, ed. R. Mark Shipp. Abilene, TX: Abilene Christian University Press, 2015.
- “Will Jonah Be Saved?” in Beautiful upon the Mountains: Biblical Essays on Mission, Peace, and the Reign of God, 77-98. Elkhart, IN: Institute of Mennonite Studies, 2003; an earlier version was presented at Lenox Colloquium, Austin, Texas, June 2002.
- “What the Preacher Forgot: The Rhetoric of Ecclesiastes,” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 62:2 (2000) 215-35, revision of presentation to the Wisdom in Biblical and Cognate Traditions section, national SBL convention, New Orleans, 1996.
- “Power in Wisdom: The Suffering Servant of Ecclesiastes 4,” in Peace and Justice Shall Embrace: Power and Theopolitics in the Bible, 145-73. Telford, PA: Pandora Press U.S., 1999.
- “Qoheleth’s Symbolic Use of Hebel,” Journal of Biblical Literature 117:3 (1998) 437-54, revision of presentation to the Wisdom in Biblical and Cognate Traditions section, national SBL, Chicago, 1994.
- “The Signs as Witnesses in the Fourth Gospel: Reexamining the Evidence,” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 56:3 (1994) 519-35 (with Loren L. Johns), revision of presentation to the Johannine Literature section, national SBLconvention, Kansas City, 1991.
Led adult Sunday school classes in a variety of churches
Led pastoral workshops
Guest preacher in local churches
Served on boards
Published articles in popular Christian magazines
Led community people on Holy Land trips