- MFA, Theatre Performance and Pedagogy (Directing), Texas Tech University
- BA, Journalism with a minor in Opera Performance, University of Alabama
- Resident Directing Assistant, American Shakespeare Center, Staunton, VA
- Graduate Part-Time Instructor, School of Theatre and Dance, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- Education and Outreach Coordinator, Fantasy Playhouse Children’s Theater and Academy, Huntsville, AL
- Directing Intern, Red River Lyric Opera, Wichita Falls, TX
- Stage Directing Intern, Druid City Opera Workshop, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Visiting Artist, Shakespeare for Singers, University of Alabama Opera Theatre, Tuscaloosa, AL
Recognitions & Awards
- Meritorious Achievement Production Recipient (Director of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson by Michael Friedman and Alex Timbers at Texas Tech University), 2019, Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival Region VI
- Finalist (Director of A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams), 2018, KCACTF Region VI Stage Directors and Choreographers Society Directing Initiative
- First-Place Winner, 2012, Alabama Federation of Music Clubs Collegiate Women’s Voice Competition
- First-Place Winner, 2012, Music Teachers National Association Alabama State Young Artist Voice Competition
- History of Musical Theatre, Texas Tech University
- Musical Theatre Literature, Texas Tech University
- Introduction to Acting, Texas Tech University
- Theatre Appreciation (Guest Lecturer), Texas Tech University
- Carlton, L. (2019, May). “Female Directors on Staging Intimacy in the #MeToo Movement” Texas Tech University Department of Women and Gender Studies, 35th Annual Conference on the Advancement of Women [lead panelist].
- Carlton, L. (2019, January). “Staging Intimacy in the #MeToo Movement,” National Opera Association (NOA) 2019 National Conference (NOA) [session].
- Carlton, L. (2018, October). “Acting Archetypes: Embodying the Operatic Giants,” West Central Regional National Opera Association (NOA) 2018 Conference [session].
- Carlton, L. (2018, January). “Gendering The Lover Boy: Romeo to Stefano in Opera’s I Capuleti e i Montecchi [Bellini] and Roméo et Juliette [Gounod],” National Opera Association (NOA) National 2018 Conference [academic poster presentation].
- Carlton, L. (2017, October). “Romeo and the Pageboy: Travesti Roles in Opera’s Romeo and Juliet,” 9th Annual Blackfriars Conference at the American Shakespeare Center [“Bodies on the Early Modern Stage: Same-Sex Casting” colloquy session].
- Research Committee (Member) – National Opera Association
- Adjudicator (Classical Acting) — Alabama Conference of Theatre Trumbauer Student Auditions
- Adjudicator — Huntsville Music Study Club Federated Voice Auditions
- Adjudicator — Dallas Summer Musical High School Musical Theatre Awards