Charlotte Kennedy-Takahashi, M.B.A., M.A.
When I started my business in 1980, my mother presented me with the most valuable of gifts: Read Proverbs 31! I did and I found the definition of a good wife (woman). It concretely explained her spiritual gifts, but it also focused on her industriousness, her productivity and her wise business acumen. My mother had given me a role model and most of all it inspired me to resist cultural norms in both America and Japan that do not hold women as effective business professionals and leaders.
Few experiences excel “making the deal” or enjoying the highs and lows of making a business work; however, I have found the goal to support others so that they can realize their own dreams within the business field even more fulfilling, whether it is through working in the business environment or in the academic environment.
I am pleased to be a faculty member at Tabor College, my alma mater, at this point of my life.
I enjoy supporting students to master various skills in the business profession and to broaden their understanding of their professional alternatives. Because of 35 years of international living and work experience in Latin American and Asia, I also seek to motivate students to understand the world beyond their national borders and be able to function and work with people effectively wherever they get off an airplane.
My concrete goals for my time at Tabor College is to build Tabor as the go-to-place for employers to hire business majors who have business competence, strong values and integrity, enhancing the results of graduates getting jobs. Secondly, I would also hope to see Tabor as the place where mature business professionals can be energized to grow their businesses.
Charlotte’s husband, Yasuhiro Takahashi, is a pharmaceutical and biotech executive.
Human Resources/Marketing/Advertising/Business Law/PR/Internship Program/
Selecting a Career
- Chairman, OakBridge( 2000): Human Resources firm
- President (owner), Oak Associates (1980): Human Resources company
- Trimedia/Oak Associates (owner) 1986-89 : Investor Public Relations
Completed Board Appointments & Experience
- Governor, Board of Governors (Also Vice President), American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (10 years); extensive lobbying concerning issues for US business in Japanese market
- Governor, Board of Governors (Also Vice President), Tokyo American Club (7 years)
- Tokyo English Lifeline (2 years)
- Multiple corporate boards (totaling 40 years)
- Japan-American Society-Counselor (20 years)
- Who’s Who of Women
- International Who’s Who
- Alumni Award: Tabor College
- Alumni Award: American Graduate School of Global Management (2 times for entrepreneurship)
- Who’s Who at Christian Colleges (get exact name????)
- Official recognition for Board performance on both Tokyo American Club and the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan Boards
- One of the Founders, Foreign Executive Women in Japan
- Founder, Entrepreneurial group
- ISO 9000 Auditor Certificate
Experience in Education
- America- Japan Education Center, Tokyo, Japan: Business courses: Executive Committee/Business Instructor
- Seoul Foreign School, Seoul, Korea: taught Asian history & speech, drama and debate
- Escuela Americana, Tegucigalpa, Honduras: taught Latin American history/social sciences
- Stanton County H.S.,Ks.: taught speech, drama, debate
- Author, Business Savvy, guidance for those newly hired into Japanese companies
- Numerous magazine articles on U.S.-Japan economic relations, labour law, entrepreneurship, internationalism, women in business (also extensive TV/radio programs on same topics for BBC/PBS/NHK)
- Wrote a weekly column for Asahi Shimbun
- MBA, American Graduate School of Global Management
- MA, Asian and African History, University of Colorado – Boulder
- BA, History, Tabor College
- Courses at the University of Maryland, Seoul, Korea